Friday, May 11, 2007

Welcome to my page


I am from Srivilliputtur,the birthplace of Sri Andal,a great poetess/goddess.I was nurtured,taught and moulded by the wonderful mixture of tamil traditional culture there.I am a vegetarian who simply loves food adore the art of cooking,baking and presenting food in an effort to please both the taste buds and eyes.
My mom used to say that every thing you carefully prepare with love and affection as offering to others will never taste bad.Being in the internet world,this blog is my attempt to share the signature recipes of my paatis(grand ma) and my amma (mom) and my fond memories and experiences.I firmly beleive that this will give a meaning to their dedication for the art of cooking. I have added to this eclectic themes from cuisines around the world while retaining the Indian soul in every dish.Due to my husband's help and my sister-in-law's encouragement,here it is....

My First Post - Amma's MysorePa
Whenever I think of Deepavali MysorePa is the first thing that comes to my mind.A few days before deepavali,during a nice evening ,the pleasant aroma of mysorepa fills the entire house and we will get ready for deepavali and the array of bhakshanams that will be in our evening snack plates in the forthcoming days.Everytime she makes it perfect in every aspect - the yellowish brown color,the texture and it will melt in your mouth the instant you put it in your mouth.Here is her recipe,

Ingredients :

Powdered sugar - 3 cups
Water - 1 cup
Freshly prepared
and hot ghee - 1.5 cups(melt butter in stove or use microwave)
Milk - 2 tablespoons
Bengalgramflour- 1 cup

In a nonstick or a heavy bottomed vessel,boil the water,when small bubbles start to form pour the sugar.When the sugar fully disappears,put the milk in small amounts and remove the semi white residue that forms with a spoon(this step is optional).In the meanwhile ,sieve the flour,roast it very slightly.Put the flour into the boiling sugar solution at once.You have to be careful here and stirring continuously.When the flour is thoroughly mixed (it will take only a minute),pour the hot ghee slowly while stirring continuously(you can do it alone if you have the skill and confidence or you can make your sweet husband do it!),the ghee should fully mix with the flour.Stop stirring when the mixture starts to rise slightly and tiny bubbles form at the sides.
Immediately pour it in a well greased plate and level it.(if it came perfect you need not level it on your own).Let it be for 10 minutes.Cut shapes using a knife and let it cool for another 10 minutes before it melts in your mouth..
In my opinion,the flawless hot and fresh ghee is what does the magic.
Here is the picture after my trial.Eventhough it lacked my amma's kaimanam(the special touch of her hand),it came out quite good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please also post your microwave recipe for mysorepak.This will be appreciated by tamil folks in US.

Hema said...

Thanks Karthik,will post it soon.