Sunday, May 27, 2007

Masala Chai

Eventhough I like Chai,I was not a huge fan of chai when i was in India.My family especially my father likes my strong ginger tea very much which we have occasionally but we take coffee normally.After I came here,thanks to my sister-in-law(she hates coffee),i got used to evening time tea ceremony.Eventhough we both like indian chai most,we used to buy Trader Joe's Earl Grey and Irish Breakfast tea bags.
After some time, reading about all the goodness of loose tea leaves,I started buying loose tea and there started my journey for a perfect chai.I even tried these indian chai bags along with the loose tea.But somehow i was not satisfied.After trying out different things,atlast i was satisfied with this recipe of mine.Even though it involves some effort,the result is quite satisfying and of course an evening with a cup of masala chai is always a treat.
Here is my recipe,

Tea leaves - 1 and a half Teaspoon
Cardamom pieces
(aelakkai) - 2
Cinnamon powder
(pattai) - 1/4 teaspoon
Cloves(kraambu) - 3/4 pieces
Pepper(milahu) - 2-3 pieces
Ginger(inji) - a small piece
Dry ginger powder
(sukku) - 1/4 teaspoon
Water - 3/4 cup

Boil the water,add ginger.When the water begins to change its color,add cinnamon powder,dry ginger powder.Then add the tealeaves and let it boil for 2-3 min.Add crushed pepper.Then add 1/4 -1/2 cup of milk.Boil for some more time and add powdered cardamom and clove pieces.Let boil for a minute.
Drain them into a tea cup and here is a hot cup of chai!If you want it more flavourful and strong add the sugar and let boil for 2 more minutes.
You can add some fresh mint leaves if u like.I made it for two people and here is the picture.


Masala chai with its ingredients

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I can smell the hot chai with spices right away!

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I can smell the hot chai with spices right away!

Hema said...

Hey Vandhana,thanks!